Two running goals for spring: both completed !!!

Yesterday, I couldn't be happier to say the least. I ran my first sub 19 minute 5K race. I went into the race with a plan and the plan worked like charm. Running wise I had two goals for this spring and I achieved both of them. 40 minute 10K and 19 minute 5K. Although, I was surprised that 10K goal fell in place sooner than 5K goal but you can't complain, ;)

For 5K yesterday, the idea was simple. Both David and I agreed on more of less even pacing. I had run a 5K race few weeks back with a hangover and hit first mile at 5:48. Ouch, needless to say that the race went downhill from there. Hanging onto a pace in a race is easier said than done. And, 6:05 min/mile pace is plain brutal to hang on for more than 12 minutes after first mile.

Yesterday, the first mile marker came at 6:05. I would have liked flat 6 minute mile but I just ran with David. I modulated my pace so that I am just a foot ahead of David to do my duty as pacer for first mile. Then, it was the turn of David to take lead from first mile to second as I have this notorious tendency to slow down a lot during second mile. David ran the second mile beautifully and must have hit it around 6:05/04 again. He was few seconds ahead of me at second mile marker and my time was 6:08.

12:13 for first two miles. I panicked little bit at this moment because there is no cushion and David is opening a gap seemingly running very smooth and I am struggling with my breathing. Nevertheless, I kept pushing and waited for the Leeland St. My pre-race calculations revealed that if I am not at Leeland st. (2:64 mile or 0.5 mile to go for finish) by 16:00, then 19 minute 5K is toasted.

I checked my watch when David went passed Leeland and it was 15:54. I cross Leeland St. at 15:59. Damn it!!! I still have not lost it completely. If I run next half mile at flat 6 minute/mile, I can still manage sub 19. I picture last year's Bellaire Trolley run when I broke 20 minutes in a 5K for the first time. I begin to push little more and my breathing becomes harder but I have less than 3 minutes to go. I say to myself that even 19:00 is not good, it has to be at least 18:59. :)

I pass few more blocks and now the turn is in sight. I notice that I am gaining on David so either he is slowing down thinking 19 is in the bag or I am speeding up. I have no way to tell for sure. Then, I hit 18:00. I still haven't turned onto the street leading to finish line. I say to myself that all bets are off and it is just one minute race now. I push really hard and cross the third mile marker around 18:20 or so. I didn't even worry about hitting the lap button on my watch. I can see finish line in sight and clock ticking 18:40. At that point, I knew 19:00 is in the bag but now I am too close to David. Can I take him down just before finish line? Okay, we go into top gear now and I can hear people cheering me on. Just before the finish line David turns around to look at me and at that instance I cross him. We both sprint to finish line and almost cross together.

David and I both have earned our first 19 minute 5K. David also won his age group and I came 4th in my age group. My official time was 18:51.7.

In spring season I broke 40 minutes in two different 10K races. Hence, it will be nice to do the same in another 5K. I will be in Lubbock next week and will miss Bellaire Trolley Run. Trolley run is a great race and the competition is really good. I wish I could run in Trolley run and break 19 again. However, I am signed up for Flying Owls 5k which is on April 17th. I ran that race last year and disliked it because of too many turns. Looks like I have to suck it up and run hard and see if I can break 19 minutes again.

On another note, I am thinking about taking a sabbatical from road racing for few months. I won't be running LP run for sure but would like to run Bayou Bash relay on a good team. I am not sure if I broke 12 minutes in it last year but this year I would definitely like to run 11:55ish in that race. I also will not be running bunch of other 5K's I ran last year. We will revisit road racing again around August to see if I want to run full marathon or half marathon in 2011 in Houston.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Running Scene in India Vs USA: Random Thoughts

Reflections while running "Easy and Steady" for a comeback

Finishline Sports 30K Race Report !!!