Things I overheard while running easy: Part 2

I'm beginning to sound like a broken record or that nagging old(er) guy who wouldn't shut up. I wrote on this blog in February, 2018 that I want to give structured training another go and few weeks later in March, I busted my ankle. During a long run a mishap happened and I sprained it very very bad. As a result of that my training was set back by at least 3-4 months and my range of motion on ankle is not back 100%. I did run law week 8k/Bayou City Classic/Bellaire Trolley Run and in each single of these race Tom Wille wiped the floor with me. He enjoyed continued improvement over his stellar 3:19 marathon in January. He also started doing track/hill work with Jon Warren's group to get some speed training.

Which brings us to say June 2nd or Height's 5k run. Now, heights 5k is insanely fast course 5k but usually held in the worst possible weather conditions of Houston summer. I wanted to have a go at another attempt at sub 20 5k but during warm up itself I knew that it won't be easy. The humidity was in full force and temps were not kind as well. I started out conservatively and hit 6:21 for first mile. As soon as I hit 1.5 mile mark on my watch my back just started to ache in a funny way and at 1.6/1.65 I had to dead stop and wait what felt like 10-12 seconds. I saw Alan (who was pacing Sherry Scott) and Sherry pass me. Alan said something encouraging and few seconds later I started to run again. I think I got back on pace quickly because I hit 6:55 for that race including the full dead stop. I gained on Sherry and passed her and hit mile 3 in 6:37 and had a really good sprint to finish but my chip time was 20:13. I should have run sub 20 but not that day.

I kept running during the summer but one thing I noticed that my easy/long runs plateaued around 8:30/8:35 pace. I also didn't do any speedwork during the summer so basically just accumulated miles and kept it nice and easy. Here is cumulative miles per month for 2018:
January: 62 miles
February: 106 miles
March: 22 miles (Ankle injury)
April: 95 miles
May: 104 miles
June: 142 miles (Reset for summer, easy running)
July: 150 miles
August: 97 miles
September: 161 miles
October: Should end it on around ~ 170 miles

In October, I ran Space City 10 miler and had a horrible race. More than heat and humidity, I think nutrition was a major factor as I didn't feel I had any fuel in me when I wanted to run little quicker in the race past 5 miles. I would say "B-" rating for my effort during that race.

I prepared for half marathon with nutrition in mind, ate well leading to race and ate two sweet potatoes in the evening (~5 pm). I did go to a Halloween party and drank 2 beers but it didn't seem to affect me adversely in the race. The race itself went like a plan and given my current fitness and lack of racing experience, I will give it a "A" effort. I ran smart for first 8 miles, didn't push and took whatever pace came naturally and dropped the hammer after mile 8 and legs just responded whenever I tried to push. The sprint to finishline (last 1.1 mile) was at 6:35 ish pace. Hell, I haven't run that in last 1.1 mile of a 5k this year let alone after running 12 miles.

I have two 5k coming up and I hope the weather is favorable for them. The first one is Alex's 5k and course has few turns but nothing too bad. It should make for a fast course. The second one is in medical center and it also very flat. I would like to train my approach in Alex's 5k and execute it better in second race. I want to run sub 20 for both of the races. If race day temperature is <65 f="" p="">Mile 1: 6:15
Mile 2: 6:35
Mile 3: 6:25
0.1 mile: 30
Total: 19:35 ish. I think in first 5k, I will get very close to 20 min as I probably won't be able to hit 2nd and 3rd mile on target but hopefully, it shouldn't go beyond 20 mins and in second race, I should be able to execute my plan.

Remains to be seen. So long :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Running Scene in India Vs USA: Random Thoughts

Reflections while running "Easy and Steady" for a comeback

Finishline Sports 30K Race Report !!!